Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thursday May 26, 2011 more Robert Frost poems

REMINDERS: vocabulary 15 is due next Tuesday
Roman numeral sheet is due next Wednesday

In class: we are finishing up Home Burial
HOMEWORK FOR Tuesday- Please choose one of the three poems by Robert Frost that follows and write and respond, explaining the extended metaphor that is expressed through nature. This should be a minimum of 200 words. Make sure to use specific textual evidence as support.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Acquainted with the Night

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
O luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.



Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment